EAL (English as an Additional Language)
We are a very inclusive school, that embraces a range of backgrounds, cultures and languages. At Ranelagh Primary School we have 21 different home languages.
All pupils need to feel safe and secure, accepted and valued in order to learn. This includes valuing every learner’s home language and background. As a school we recognise that bilingualism is a strength that pupils with EAL should be proud of, that it is important to raise an awareness of the different languages and cultural backgrounds our pupils have and to celebrate these in many ways.
Communication is vital in all aspects of life, so we have several staff members who are available to help with translating when required.
- Mrs Cuska and Mrs Patru are able to translate for our Roma and Romanian community.
- Mrs Begum is able to translate into Bengali for parents at parent consultation.
- Mrs Sciupakova is able to translate for Lithuanian and Russian community.
- Mrs Hopper can help you with Russian, Greek and German.
- We also have parent ambassadors who can help you with Polish, Turkish and Arabic translations.
The main role of the EAL support staff is to facilitate the learning of the English language. The EAL team works with individual EAL pupils and with groups of pupils to develop their skills in English.
If you need translation support from a specific member of staff regarding a school issue, please speak to the school office or email email@example.com